Aldi UK was successful in gaining planning permission for Cardiff Council to build a new supermarket on the former garage & Electrocoin site on Caerphilly Road & work has now commenced on the site.
Fenella said ‘There has been controversy about the siting of another supermarket in this area of Heath, and which could potentially impact the viability of smaller shops in the locality. But local residents were supportive of the development, even though there will be a loss of parking spaces for Caerphilly Road residents, and increased traffic in this very busy stretch of road.’
HB Independents will be keeping residents updated as the development progresses.
Cllr Fenella Bowden & the Independent team are pleased that the 20mph zone has finally been installed Birchgrove Road – almost 12 months after being approved.
Fenella said ‘We have been campaigning for this scheme for years & the Council has continuously refused to support one. In November 2016, I was told by the Cabinet Member for Highways that the road did not justify a scheme. But whatever the motive behind the change of heart, I am delighted that children will gain more safeguarding in this busy road. The scheme is not as all-encompassing as that which was installed for Ton yr Ywen School, but it is a start. Now we need to see how effective the scheme is.’
The HBI team has campaigned hard to make the Birchgrove area safe.
Just to give you a flavour of the issues that Fenella & the HBI team have been dealing with around the Heath Ward over the past week or so, here’s a brief overview!
- Working to get the lane between Pantbach Road & Grove Plave cleared of accumulation of rubbish & fly-tipping.
- Finally achieved a 20mph zone in front of Birchgrove School.
- Notifying residents of the proposed development of the derelict site behind Phoenix Way & the new Aldi store. 53 social housing dwellings are being proposed.
- Responding to residents who are dismayed to hear that Wedal Road is closing & that Labour promises of it remaining open until a new site is found have been broken.
- Attended Planning Committee in relation to the development of the former Highfields site in Allensbank Road.
- We were pleased to see the re-marking of the junction of Maes y Coed Road & Heathwood Road to prevent accidents at this dangerous corner.
- Working with residents of Ffordd Ty Unnos on access & exit issues.
- Working with the residents of Llywnfedw Gardens on concerns surrounding the development of a 3G pitch & associated issues.
- Still reporting flytipping and dirty streets to Cardiff council.
- Still pressing for full adoption of land in Heathmead and securing better waste management provision.
- Calling for better signage on Manor Way to highlight to motorists the change from 40mph to 30mph through the Heath Ward section.
There will be another update soon, as there is always work to be done in Heath Ward!